Joi is partner and co-chair in the Trademark Practice Group of Carr & Ferrell, specializing in international and domestic trademark clearance, registration and enforcement.
She counsels a wide range of businesses in managing global trademark portfolios, clearing new marks, developing and implementing enforcement strategies, and in navigating trademark and domain name disputes. Representative clients are in the fields of computer security software, e-commerce, consumer electronics, and biotech. Her clients include entrepreneurs and start-ups, privately held mid-size companies and publicly traded corporations with global reach.
Prior to joining Carr & Ferrell, Joi worked at an Electronic Design Automation (EDA) company where she contributed to management of the trademark portfolio. In 2005, she spent a term at the University of San Francisco School of Law, teaching the Internet & Intellectual Property Justice Clinic as an adjunct faculty member and, in recent years, she has been invited to speak about trademarks in the Entrepreneurs’ Law Clinic (ELC) at Santa Clara University School of Law.
In addition to her trademark practice, Joi enjoys playing an active role in the development of domain name policy. As a former Chair of the Domain Disputes & Whois Subcommittee of the Internet Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA), Joi is returning to serve on the Internet Committee in the 2022-2023 term.
When she isn’t dabbling in development of domain name policy or contemplating trademark protection and enforcement matters, you might find Joi out on the California coastside trail, or working on her next new experiment in low-carb desserts and low sugar baking.
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law, High Technology Law Certificate
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University, Mass Communications
- State Bar of California
- International Trademark Association
- INTA Internet Committee, Chair, Domain Disputes and WHOIS Subcommittee, 2012-2013 Term
- INTA Legal Practice Resources Committee, 2014-2015 Term
- INTA Data Protection Committee, Enforcement Subcommittee, 2016-2019 Term
- INTA Internet Committee, 2020-Present
- Guest Lecturer, Santa Clara Law Entrepreneurs’ Law Clinic, 2019-Present
- Security and Surveillance at the International Trademark Association (INTA) Conference
- Strategies for International Trademark Protection: Adding International Trademark Registrations to the Mix
- Searching Trademarks in Foreign Countries and Developing an International Trademark Protection Strategy
- Trademark Protection Process
- Trademark Opposition & Cancellation Process