Our Trademark Team
Carr & Ferrell’s trademark team features two seasoned trademark partners with over 40 years of combined experience, supported by two experienced trademark paralegals and an administrative assistant with more than fifteen years in the field. Whether our client is an emerging company with a single brand, or an established enterprise with a multi-national portfolio spanning the globe, Carr & Ferrell’s trademark group provides personalized service to meet each client’s individual needs. Our unique combination of experienced practitioners, technological expertise, and nimble size makes our trademark group well-known for its flexibility and innovative legal strategies. As part of a full-service Firm, we also can tap our licensing, corporate transaction, and litigation colleagues to address your needs in a holistic manner.
Trademark Services: Clearance, Registration, Enforcement, and Dispute Resolution
From the moment a client conceives of a new trademark or design, we stand ready to assist with every step of the domestic and international trademark clearance and registration process. Through guidelines to ensure proper use and watching services to detect potential infringements, we help protect the goodwill our clients have created in their marks. We assist clients in trademark licensing, ownership transfers and in developing enforcement strategies. When trademark disputes arise, Carr & Ferrell clients have access to our trademark practitioners and a fully staffed litigation team, both with experience in proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Office, World Intellectual Property Organization domain arbitration, and trademark infringement and dilution litigation in State and Federal courts.
Carr & Ferrell’s trademark group serves clients in a wide range of industries, including hardware and software, IT services, e-commerce, internet enterprises, financial services, media, entertainment, and healthcare.
Learn more about trademarks, trade dress and domain names, as well as related legal issues and legal services, on the following pages:
- We have posted answers to some common questions in our Trademark FAQs.
- Read about the next phase in preparing for a barrage of new top-level domain names in our article The Trademark Clearinghouse is Open: Should You Register?
The following recent publications are available for download:
- An overview of the law of domain name disputes (2010): Cyberspace Primer: Domain Disputes
- An overview of contributory and vicarious liability prepared for the AIPLA Spring Meeting in San Francisco (2011): The Evolving Law of Secondary Liability in Trademarks
- What business lawyers and general counsels need to know about the new top level domains: Old Wine in New Bottles: Protecting IP Rights in Hundreds More Top-Level Domains (reprinted from California Business Law Practitioner, Fall 2013)
Carr & Ferrell has hosted numerous Roundtables for the International Trademark Association (INTA). You can find summaries and discussion outlines for those events in our Roundtable Archive.
Meet the Trademark Partners
Jefferson is a partner in the Intellectual Property Group of Carr & Ferrell and Chair of the Trademark Practice Group. He specializes in intellectual property and cyberlaw counseling and dispute management, with an emphasis on the protection and enforcement of trademarks and copyrights.
Joi A. White
Joi is a partner in the Intellectual Property Practice Group of Carr & Ferrell. She specializes in intellectual property law, with an emphasis on international and domestic trademark counseling and enforcement.