Sam is a Senior Attorney in the Corporate Practice Group at Carr & Ferrell. He has extensive experience representing companies and venture capital firms in a wide range of domestic and cross-border corporate transactional matters. Sam’s practice focuses on venture capital and private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions, licensing and commercial matters, entity formation and structuring, and other general corporate and securities matters. He also advises on various compliance, employment, privacy, and other issues when acting as “outside general counsel” for many of his company clients, and often draws upon his prior experience in litigation when advising on such matters.
Prior to attending law school, Sam lived and worked in various parts of Mainland China, where he received significant exposure to the business and regulatory framework there. During law school, Sam studied abroad at several of China’s top law schools, and as an attorney, Sam has consulted numerous U.S., U.K. and Europe-based clients in connection with investments and operations in China, and advised PRC-based clients on similar matters in the U.S.
- J.D., U.C. Hastings College of the Law; Concentration Certificate, International Law
- B.S., Business Administration, Haas School of Business, U.C. Berkeley
- State Bar of California
- Represented Fintech company in its $150 million Series C financing.
- Represented PRC-listed game company as strategic investor in $70 million Series C financing of U.S.-based light field camera company.
- Represented NASDAQ-listed game company in $45 million acquisition of PC and mobile game dev studio.
- Represented AAA mobile game company in $40 million sale of mobile and web game assets to PRC-listed mobile game company.
- Represented VC firm as lead investor in $22 million Series A financing of mobile security company.
- Represented Hong Kong-listed game company as strategic investor and exclusive licensee and publisher in Mainland China in $10 million Series A financing of U.S.-based PC and console game dev studio.