John is a founding partner of Carr & Ferrell LLP, one of Silicon Valley's foremost technology and litigation law firms, and specializes in patent litigation and intellectual property matters. He is Chair of the Firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group.
John's practice focuses on creating and defending market monopolies by organizing and leveraging intellectual property assets. Litigation emphasis includes patent infringement, patent post grant review, Federal and State intellectual property administrative and judicial actions, contract disputes, and business and commercial torts. Representation includes a wide range of highly technical fields, including cybersecurity, semiconductors, communications, computer, software, social networking, wireless, bio- and eco-engineering.
Representative clients have included: 3Com, A10 Networks, Analogix, Apple Computer, Atmel, Autodesk, Broadcom, Cadence, Canon, Catepillar, Charles Schwab, Cirrus Logic, Cisco Systems, Dreamworks, Epson, Facebook, FireEye, Fujitsu, Hewlitt Packard, Hitachi, Intuit, KLA-Tencor, Knowles, Kodak, LSI Logic, Marvell Technology, Mitsumi, Netgear, Olivetti, Oracle, Polycom, Philips, Plantronics, Princess Cruise Lines, Proofpoint, Ricoh, Rohm Semiconductor, Ruckus Wireless, SDL, Seagate, Sega, Seiko Systems, Silver Peak, Sonos, Sony, Sutter Health, Swagelock, Synnex, Technogym, VIA Technologies, vArmour, VMware, Western Digital, and Xilinx.
Distinguished by his demonstrated technical and legal expertise, John has been noted in the Silicon Valley Business Journal list of Who's Who in Silicon Valley and Northern California's Super Lawyers. He was also listed by the Los Angeles Daily Journal as one of California's top Rainmakers, by San Jose Magazine as one of Silicon Valley's top Legal Eagles, and by San Francisco Magazine as one of Northern California's top lawyers. Additionally, under his leadership, the firm was recently recognized by Corporate Counsel Magazine as a Go to Law Firm for Intellectual Property. John has received an AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell® (a representation of the highest level of professional excellence). Over the past decade, John has presented on and spoken about patent and intellectual property issues, both legal and technology business forums around the globe.
In addition to practicing law, John is an active technology investor and member of The Band of Angels, Silicon Valley's oldest seed fund organization.
- J.D., Santa Clara University
- M.S.E.E., Texas A&M University
- B.S.E.E., University of Texas at Austin, Tau Beta Pi and Eta Kappa Nu
- State Bar of California
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Northern District of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- The Band of Angels – Band Member
- Angel Flight West (non profit) – Board Member
- American Bar Association – Intellectual Property Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association
- ZDNet - “Microsoft's Android Patents Will Face Challenges”
- PRWeb - “vAmour Expands Patent Portfolio for Data Center Security”
- ZDNet - “Pro-patent Partnership for American Innovation lobby wobbles on take-off”
- PRWeb - “Carr & Ferrell LLP Celebrates 20 Years Serving Silicon Valley Technology Community”
- ZDNet - “Patent troll Innovatio IP goes after small businesses”
- Wireless Week's Show Daily - “Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Wireless Comes of Age - in Court”
- TheStreet.com - “Samsung Could Cut IP Ties With SanDisk”
- Information Week - "Federal Court to Reconsider Software Patent Issue"
- linuxpipeline.com - "SCO Raises New Funding -- And Experts Raise Questions"
- eWeek - "If Legal Questions Killed an Oracle-JBoss Deal, Why Not Red Hat-JBoss?"
- SFGate.com - "Apple, Microsoft Duel Over iPod Patent"
- SFGate.com - "Mind Your Business: Dream of opening cafe or wine bar could turn into nightmare"
- adtmag.com - "When Corporate Lawyers Attack"
- itcinstitute.com - "Intellectual Property: Risk or Red Herring?"
- microsoft-watch.com - "Microsoft Advocates for Patent Reform"
- Enterprise Strategies - "Careers: How "Inevitable Misappropriation" May Limit Job Mobility"
- CNET News.com - "Judge slams SCO's lack of evidence against IBM"
- Information Week
- San Jose Mercury News
- San Francisco Chronicle
- California Law Business
- The Recorder
- The Register
- CNN Radio
- CNET News
- Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal
- San Jose Magazine
- Seattle Post-Intelligencer
- SD Times
- Daily Herald
- EE Times
- Linux Today
- "Write and File your own Provisional Patent Application", Inventor's Forum, Orange Coast College
- "Entrepreneurship in Biotechnology" at Haas School of Business, Berkeley
- SHarris & Harris Group CEO Day, Palo Alto, CA
- Woodside Fund Clean Energy Technology Roundtable, Palo Alto, CA
- PLI's Advanced Patent Licensing Seminar, San Francisco, CA
- "Entrepreneurs in Biotechnology" at UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- IP Due Diligence for Semiconductor Venture Investments, Palo Alto, CA
- National Manufacturing Week, Chicago, IL
- Stanford Guest Lecture, Palo Alto, CA
- IEEE Presentation, Santa Clara, CA
- Success By Design Conference Presentation, Providence, RI
- SemiCon West Trade Show, San Francisco, CA