James is an associate in the Intellectual Property Practice Group of Carr & Ferrell LLP. James specializes in intellectual property law including the preparation and prosecution of U.S. patent applications, strategic intellectual property planning and patent portfolio management for both established and start-up clients.
James has experience in the preparation and prosecution of patents, the analysis of patent invalidity and infringement issues, the management of domestic and international patent portfolios, and the preparation of opinions. James helps clients obtain patents in a variety of technological fields, including but not limited to: biotechnology, medical devices, pharmaceutics, mechanical devices, labeling technologies, hardware, software, cloud-computing systems, mobile applications, networking technologies, graphics processing, electronic book publishing, smartphone accessories, and financial business-methods.
Prior to joining Carr & Ferrell, James worked for a San Francisco law firm handling intellectual property matters. Before James’ law career he worked in Silicon Valley at a start-up company, a Fortune 500 company, and a research university.
James is a technology enthusiast, which steered him to become a patent attorney. In his spare time, James enjoys spending time with family and friends and getting out-doors as often as possible.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, Hastings Science and Technology Law Journal, Executive Managing Editor
- University of San Francisco, M.S., Biology
- Pomona College, B.A., Biology
- State Bar of California
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Biotechnology and Patent Committees
- Silicon Valley Intellectual Property Law Association (SVIPLA)
- San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Association (SFIPLA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)