Current Legal Openings
Trademark Docketing and Support Specialist
The Trademark Support Specialist will be responsible for providing docketing and administrative support to Carr & Ferrell's busy Trademark team in the Intellectual Property practice group. Duties will be split between administrative, docketing and paralegal functions, and may include:
- Maintaining trademark department deadlines while routinely reviewing and updating active files;
- Filing relevant documents related to the prosecution and/or maintenance of U.S. and foreign trademarks;
- Virtual Filing: maintaining and updating electronic records of trademark correspondence;
- Learning the IPManager docketing system, and reviewing and updating our calendar of deadlines;
- Supporting our Docketing Manager;
- Liaising with accounting team and attorneys to open new matters and run internal conflicts checks;
- Conducting online investigations in connection with clients' trademark matters;
- Drafting and reviewing correspondence to clients and international law firm partners regarding trademark matters;
- Assisting with planning for the annual International Trademark Association (INTA) conference;
- Additional legal support responsibilities, as assigned.
2+ years of recent law firm or in-house legal team experience preferred. Experience with MS Word and Outlook required; Excel experience preferred and a tolerance for "techie nerdiness" among your colleagues is a must. Interest in technology and working with technology clients is a plus, as we are passionate about our clients' business ventures and innovation. Finally and importantly, we are looking for a candidate who is eager to learn more about the trademark and intellectual property field and enthusiastic about joining and supporting a high-energy but close-knit group.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree preferred, accompanied by a strong academic record;
- At least 2 years of trademark paralegal or similar experience is a plus;
- Experience with trademark or intellectual property matters is preferred;
- Experience with MS Office products required and IPManager or other docketing system preferred;
- Experience with or strong interest in high technology businesses preferred;
- Excellent analytical skills, writing skills, and patience for paying attention to details are required;
- Ability to assess and triage incoming tasks and correspondence, and efficiently communicate with other team members to allocate (and reallocate) priority of current tasks;
- Strong interpersonal skills and flexibility are keys to success in any busy trademark practice; and
- A sense of humor and commitment to professionalism are required.
Carr & Ferrell’s Patent Coordinators work with attorneys, legal staff and clients to organize legal documents, process client materials, and assist in the management of the client relationship. Patent Coordinators are expected to utilize effective communication skills, exemplify a proactive attitude and maintain a focus on details. The ideal candidate will have the following:
- - Bachelor’s degree and Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- - Proficiency in MS Office Software products (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- - Ability to organize, prioritize, and complete tasks by deadline dates
- - Interpersonal and communications skills required to interact with clients, lawyers and staff
- - 2+ years of experience in a legal setting
- - Prior knowledge of patent prosecution a plus
We are currently searching for a Corporate Associate with a minimum of 1 year Silicon Valley corporate law firm experience to join our emerging company, venture capital and transactional team in Menlo Park. This is an excellent opportunity to develop a career in an entrepreneurial yet friendly environment, while getting great experience and training in a vibrant and growing office. Immediate consideration will be given to applicants with the following qualifications:
- - Minimum 1 year Silicon Valley firm corporate law experience
- - Good academic credentials from a top tier law school
- - Start-up, venture financing experience required (work with private companies and preferred stock financing exposure is ideal)
- - M&A experience preferred
- - Licensing experience a plus
- - Large firm corporate experience and proven dedication to client service
- - Current California bar membership in good standing is required
Patent Law Clerk
Our Menlo Park-based firm is hiring recent law school graduates for full-time positions to assist with strategic planning, legal research, project management and patent preparation and prosecution. Through our highly selective hiring process, we strive to maintain a team of collaborative, passionate, creative and intellectually curious legal experts to consistently deliver a superior experience to our innovative clientele. If you fit this description, and are interested in a challenging position on one of Silicon Valley's premier intellectual property practice teams, this is a great opportunity for you.
- - Ideal candidates will possess 1-2 years of experience at a law firm or in-house, but we will also interview qualified recent graduates
- - USPTO registration preferred
- - Excellent academic qualifications and premium written and verbal communication skills
- - Interest in patent prosecution, strategic planning and project management
- - A background in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science is a plus
Providing support for all types of litigation matters and working alongside attorneys and staff during each phase of the litigation process, paralegals provide a high level of service to both internal and external clients.
Applicants should have at least 5 years of legal experience, ideally in the area of business or IP litigation. This person will need to interact with clients, witnesses, experts. Paralegal certification and a high level of proficiency with computers are both requirements for applicants. We are looking for an individual with excellent written and oral communication skills, case preparation and time management skills, a strong knowledge of court rules, and a demonstrated understanding of discovery and trial preparation procedures.