John Ferrell is a founding partner of Carr & Ferrell LLP, one of Silicon Valley's foremost technology law firms, and specializes in patent and intellectual property law matters. He is the Chair of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice Group.
Mr. Ferrell's practice focuses on helping emerging and mid-sized companies create market monopolies by organizing and leveraging intellectual property assets. In addition, Mr. Ferrell's practice includes patent opinion and litigation analysis, as well as trademark, copyright and trade secret matters. As a leading Menlo Park patent attorney, Mr. Ferrell has represented companies in a variety of fields, including semiconductors, communications, computers, software, social networking, wireless, bioengineering, and eco-engineering.
Distinguished by his demonstrated technical and legal expertise, Mr. Ferrell has been noted in the Silicon Valley Business Journal list of Who's Who in Silicon Valley and Northern California's Super Lawyers. He was also listed by the Los Angeles Daily Journal as one of California's top Rainmakers, by San Jose Magazine as one of Silicon Valley's top Legal Eagles, and by San Francisco Magazine as one of Northern California's top lawyers. Additionally, under his leadership, the firm was recently recognized by Corporate Counsel Magazine as a "Go to Law Firm for Intellectual Property." Mr. Ferrell has received an AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell® (a representation of the highest level of professional excellence). Over the past decade, Mr. Ferrell has presented and spoken about patent and intellectual property issues at both legal and technology business forums around the globe.
In addition to practicing law, Mr. Ferrell is an active technology investor and member of The Band of Angels, Silicon Valley's oldest seed fund organization.
- Information Week
- San Jose Mercury News
- San Francisco Chronicle
- California Law Business
- The Recorder
- The Register
- CNN Radio
- CNET News
- Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal
- San Jose Magazine
- Seattle Post-Intelligencer
- SD Times
- Daily Herald
- EE Times
- Linux Today
- April 3, 2014 - zdnet.com - Pro-patent Partnership for American Innovation lobby wobbles on take-off
- October 8, 2010 - Wireless Week's Show Daily - “Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Wireless Comes of Age - in Court”
- November 3, 2008 -TheStreet.com - “Samsung Could Cut IP Ties With SanDisk”
- February 23, 2008 -Information Week - "Federal Court to Reconsider Software Patent Issue"
- April 12, 2006 -linuxpipeline.com - "SCO Raises New Funding -- And Experts Raise Questions"
- April 10, 2006 -eWeek - "If Legal Questions Killed an Oracle-JBoss Deal, Why Not Red Hat-JBoss?"
- August 16, 2005 - SFGate.com - "Apple, Microsoft Duel Over iPod Patent"
- May 18, 2005 -SFGate.com - "Mind Your Business: Dream of opening cafe or wine bar could turn into nightmare"
- April 1, 2005 -adtmag.com - "When Corporate Lawyers Attack"
- March 15, 2005 - itcinstitute.com - "Intellectual Property: Risk or Red Herring?"
- March 10, 2005 - microsoft-watch.com - "Microsoft Advocates for Patent Reform"
- March 1, 2005 -Enterprise Strategies - "Careers: How "Inevitable Misappropriation" May Limit Job Mobility"
- February 9, 2005 -CNET News.com - "Judge slams SCO's lack of evidence against IBM"
- May 14, 2010 - "Write and File your own Provisional Patent Application", Inventor's Forum, Orange Coast College
- February 10, 2010 - "Entrepreneurship in Biotechnology" at Haas School of Business, Berkeley
- September 25, 2008 - Harris & Harris Group CEO Day, Palo Alto, CA
- September 4, 2008 - Woodside Fund Clean Energy Technology Roundtable, Palo Alto, CA
- June 11, 2008 - PLI's Advanced Patent Licensing Seminar, San Francisco, CA
- March 18, 2008 - "Entrepreneurs in Biotechnology" at UC Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- January 24, 2008 - IP Due Diligence for Semiconductor Venture Investments, Palo Alto, CA
- March 22, 2006 - National Manufacturing Week, Chicago, IL
- April 14, 2005 - Stanford Guest Lecture, Palo Alto, CA
- April 26, 2005 - IEEE Presentation, Santa Clara, CA
- May 5, 2005 – Success By Design Conference Presentation, Providence, RI
- July 12-14, 2005 – SemiCon West Trade Show, San Francisco, CA